Eye of the Tiger Hypnotises Demons

April 28, 2018 by
Filed under: NSW Demons 

Round 5, Melbourne Vs Richmond, Eye of the Tiger Hypnotises Demons


Apparently, we weren’t indestructible this week but there was still a lot of good to take away from the game against Richmond. After last week’s disaster we took the game to the Tigers for the first three quarters. The less said about the fourth quarter the better.

We welcomed back Tyson, Weideman, Stretch & Hunt who had a lot to prove as their places weren’t assured and it was an interesting match for all four. Jake Melksham opened the scoring for Melbourne with his first disposal. We piled the pressure on and Richmond were slow to respond taking seven minutes to get a behind from their first inside 50. Higgins follow it up with the Tiger’s first goal a minute later. The Dees worked hard to stem Richmond’s attack but couldn’t prevent a second Richmond goal, this time from Castagna. The quarter ended with Melbourne trailing 11-14.

The Tigers got the first in the second quarter with another goal to Higgins. Then Michael Hibberd went off due to the blood rule and when he returned he was sporting a fetching nose sling in the style of Hannibal Lecter. Despite taking half the quarter to register their first inside 50, the Dees had only conceded two goals to Richmond with Higgins scoring his third of the match. Then finally in the 22nd minute, Melksham scored for the Dees. The Tigers followed up with a goal from Lloyd. The half time score was 18-38.

The third quarter opened with a brilliant effort from Hogan to notch up his first of the day. Gawn as usual was winning in the hitout stakes and the Demons were dominating with a string of inside 50s. This was topped off with a beauty from Jeff Garlett reducing the margin to 8 points. Suddenly it looked like we might upset the mighty Tigers. An enormous kick from Oliver unfortunately only resulted in a behind. Then Richmond powerhouse Jack Riewoldt showed how dangerous he is when he marked and kicked his first of the game. Things were looking good for the Dees though when Melksham got his hat trick but two quick gaols for Prestia and Lloyd just before the end of the third brought the Demon fans back down to earth with the score on the siren at 38-57.

We were heading skywards again at the start of the fourth when James Harmes got his first goal to reduce the margin to 13 points. We could do this. Then the afternoon got worse with Hibberd off for the second time due to the blood rule. The replay of his face hitting the hallowed turf of the MCG had fans squirming. It hardly seemed to register with him though as he trotted off for a second time. Quick goals from Lambert and McIntosh saw the Tigers in ascending form and even inspired play from Weideman and Hogan (scoring his second goal) couldn’t stem the tide. After that it was nearly all Richmond when they slotted home four goals in five minutes. A consolation goal from Melksham, scoring his fourth, did little to raise Demon spirits (really not trying to be funny). A goal to Lambert just before the full time siren didn’t reflect how well Melbourne had played for most of the afternoon.

There was a lot of good to take away from our performance, but I just wish it would all come together for us sooner rather than later. There are still seventeen games left in the season so lets do a Swans revival circa 2017 and win the next fifteen.



MELBOURNE 1.5 2.6 5.8 8.8 (56)
RICHMOND 2.2 5.8 8.9 15.12 (102)
Melbourne: Melksham 4, Hogan 2, Garlett, Harmes
Richmond: Higgins 3, Lloyd 2, Castagna 2, McIntosh 2, Riewoldt 2, Lambert 2, Prestia, Cotchin


Comments are closed.

Click here join NSW Demons now.

follow us on twitter Follow us on twitter

join our facebook group Join our facebook group

Sign up to our newsletter: