Still Some Demons To Conquer

March 30, 2019 by
Filed under: NSW Demons 

Round 1 – Melbourne Vs Port Adelaide – Still Some Demons To Conquer


First game of the season and expectations were high amongst fans and footballing commentators alike. This could be Melbourne’s year with a berth in the Grand Final a distinct possibility.

It started well with the Dees dominating earlier. A good run and pick up from Sam Weideman who kicked to Jake Melksham collecting the mark just outside Port’s inside 50m. Melksham’s kick towards goal was marked by Tom McDonald who slotted in Melbourne’s first.

This was quickly followed up by a goal from Tom Sparrow, making his Dee’s debut. A one handed mark by Angus Brayshaw 30m out from goal added to Port Adelaide’s woes.

With the Demons leading 19-1 after ten minutes, it looked like it was going to be a walkover by Melbourne, especially when Jake Melksham made it 26 for the Dees. However Port fought back to finish the quarter trailing 27-16.

Port opened the scoring three minutes into the second quarter with Justin Westhoff kicking his first goal. Max Gawn wasn’t having a good game, being dominated in clearances.

Bayley Fritsch marked a difficult ball in front of goal to stretch the Dee’s lead to 11 points but Zak Butters’ shot two minutes later pulled it back to 3. Port Adelaide kicked another two goals before Christian Petracca’s effort improved the score line. Melbourne finished the half trailing by three points.

A much needed goal from Captain Nathan Jones inspired the troops. Two minutes later Jayden Hunt started a run of play by Melbourne culminating in a great goal by Melksham to regain the lead. This was followed up by Sam Weideman to stretch our advantage to nine points.

It looked like Melbourne was starting to take back control of the game. Port Adelaide begged to differ though and another from Westhoff subdued the Demon faithful. Port added two more unanswered goals to finish the quarter ahead 61-69.

The Dees went into the last quarter still in a competitive position but it wasn’t to be our afternoon. Two further goals from the veteran Westhoff sealed Melbourne’s fate. There were moments of brilliance, especially from Christian Salem but the Dees failed to score and the game ended 61-87 in favour of Adelaide.

Port fought hard and were able to neutralise Max Gawn. Missing Stephen May at the back didn’t help and Jack Watts played one of his best games against his former team mates.

It’s only Round 1 but we’ll all feel better when we get our first win. Lots of teams under estimate Melbourne and we like being the underdog. Let’s hope the Cat’s are feeling over confident on Saturday after last week’s victory against the Pies.

MELBOURNE 4.3 6.5 9.7 9.7 (61)
PORT ADELAIDE 2.4 6.8 10.9 12.15 (87)
Melbourne: Melksham 2, T.McDonald, Brayshaw, Fritsch, Sparrow, Weideman, Petracca, Jones
Port Adelaide: Westhoff 5, Butters 2, Marshall, Duursma, Ebert, Gray, Boak
Melbourne: Salem, Harmes, Melksham, Hibberd, Brayshaw, Oliver
Port Adelaide: Westhoff, Rockliff, Gray, Boak, Burton, Ebert


Comments are closed.

Click here join NSW Demons now.

follow us on twitter Follow us on twitter

join our facebook group Join our facebook group

Sign up to our newsletter: