Melbourne Over Power Port

April 15, 2022 by
Filed under: AFLM, NSW Demons, Sponsoring James 

Round 4 – Port Adelaide V Melbourne

Liam Chambers

Playing away at Adelaide Oval is not for the faint hearted. The home fans are passionate and mostly hostile. Despite this, Melbourne took it all in their stride; even the PA system blasting out INXS couldn’t put them off.

The Dees kicked their first major within a minute, thanks to a mark taken by Bayley Fritsch, twenty metres from goal. After that, Port was able to spend a decent amount of time in Melbourne’s territory but were unable to overly bother their rivals. Each forward entry was easily dealt with by the Demons.

However we were unable to capitalise at the other end and it continued to be a low scoring quarter. Port maintained a superior inside 50 count but Melbourne’s back half proved too efficient and it was 3 – 9 at the break.

It was more of the same in the second quarter as the Power continued to play hard for no reward. Melbourne just seemed content to play their natural game and wait for the opportunities to present themselves. The chances came aplenty late in the term with Bayley Fritsch literally kick starting the process. After being awarded a free on the 50m line, he played on and launched a kick which spun into the waiting goal.

Then the floodgates opened, starting with a contested mark from Tom McDonald. Macca took a short run and converted from 30m out. Next Jack Viney had a set shot from the pocket and kicked the third of the quarter. After the bounce, Melbourne chaotically moved the ball towards inside 50 where Christian Petracca gathered up and handballed to James Harmes. Goal number five for the Dees!

Just before half time, with Port still goalless, Ed Langdon was awarded a free plus a 50m penalty. His kick, 20m from the goal line, only compounded the pain of the Power’s fans.

Then, as if they hadn’t suffered enough, Todd Marshall had a chance to kick after the siren. However the decision was reversed when Zak Butters had a rush of blood to the head and threw Jake Bowey to the ground, thereby denying Port a potential first goal.

Zac Butters had a chance of redemption early in the second half but his kick from the pocket missed to the near side. The Power kept pushing but was unable to to convert and eventually Melbourne broke back towards their forward half. Kysaiah Pickett’s vision to pick out James Harmes in front of goal, set up the midfielder’s second.

Port almost had their first major when Mitch Georgiades accelerated towards goal. Waiting until the last possible second to kick, his shot was blocked on the line by Jayden Hunt and James Jordan. Then Georgiades hand passed the rebound ball to Sam Mays whose subsequent kick was touched by Jordan. Has to be a contender for miss of the year (we need a new category at the Brownlows).

Max Gawn has developed a habit of scoring long distance goals. His effort from the 50m line to give the Demons a forty seven point lead was no exception. The silent Port fans were slowly being torn apart.

Finally though and with only four minutes remaining in the third quarter, Port Adelaide got their first goal. Sam Powell-Pepper was awarded a free kick on the 50m line. He quickly hand passed to Dan Houston who didn’t have a problem kicking from deep in the pocket.

The relief was palpable around the ground but Melbourne wasn’t ready to rest on their laurels yet. Luke Jackson marked in front of goal but was unable to convert. A minute later he had a second chance from a similar position and this time his aim was true.

Bayley Fritsch had possibly his easiest goal of the season so far when he marked Tom McDonald’s kick to the right of the posts. All Fritsch had to do was waltz through and kick his hat trick.

By now the match was beyond Port Adelaide’s reach. Facing a fifty three point deficit, they were solely playing for pride and to avoid racking up their lowest score in the Club’s history. Mitch Georgiades solve the latter when he was able to kick the ball off the turf just in front of goal.

Towards the end, Steven Motlop stepped around the Dees defence and snapped a goal. It became a late flurry for Port when Motlop was able to kick his second in the last minute.

Overall a great result for the Dees. We’re the only team to have won all of their first four games. We host the Giants in Round 5 and again nothing will be taken for granted. GWS was one of only four teams to register a win against Melbourne last season but I do fancy our chances.

Go the Mighty Dees!!!


Comments are closed.

Click here join NSW Demons now.

follow us on twitter Follow us on twitter

join our facebook group Join our facebook group

Sign up to our newsletter: